Taught Masters

Taught masters in the UK are popular with overseas students as they are normally completed within 9 to 12 months. An MPhil, which is usually a research based master's degree will often take 2 years though. Another popular feature of master's courses in the UK is that they can be either conversion or specialist master's degrees. Conversion means that you may be able to study in a different area than your undergraduate studies. For example, if you studied Literature at university but now want to study business, you can! A specialist master's degree means that you continue to study in the same area as your undergraduate studies but in more depth. Below you can find more information about the different types of postgraduate taught courses available in the UK. But don't worry, your UKEAS counselor can advise more on what course best suits you.


For a full list of UK universities, click here.

  • MA/MSc/MBA/MLitt/MEd/MEng/MMus

    These are all titles for Masters' degrees. MSc is for Master of Science, MLitt is for Master of Letters and MA is for Master of Arts. MLitt is usually used for arts degrees and so it is similar to MA. Most universities use MA but some (usually older universities) like to use MLitt. It makes no difference to your qualification.

    Business is one of the few subjects where degrees can be called a Master of Science or a Master of Arts. So you might see degrees at different universities called, MSc Management, MA Management, MLitt Management. Generally an MSc Management is likely to be more quantitative than a MA Management or MLitt Management but this is not always the case. Your counselor will be able to advise you more on this.

  • Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)

    The Postgraduate Diploma is normally awarded when the student has successfully completed the taught element of the master's degree. This is generally after 9 months. Some more practical courses may only be offered as a PgDip and some programmes may be offered as a PgDip as a preparation course for a full masters.

  • Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert)

    Students who pass half the modules of a full PgDip can usually obtain a Postgraduate Certificate. Again though, some vocational courses, such as certain teaching courses, may be offered as PgCerts. As this area can be confusing to students, please check with your counselor about the status of the course you wish to follow.

  • Master of Philosophy (MPhil)

    The MPhil usually takes 2 years to complete and is often seen as a stepping stone to a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy). The first nine months involve taught courses but mainly focus on discussion with the tutor about the research topic. After that, students can often choose to do a PhD or continue with MPhil research. The latter 15 months include research courses. Most schools will require students to register as MPhil students before they officially become PhD candidates as whether they can become PhD students depends on their performance and exam results in the MPhil courses.

  • Pre-sessional English Courses

    Because a master's degree in the UK only takes one year to complete, there is a condition that students need to have a good English level (most courses require IELTS 6.5) before they start the course. If their level doesn't meet the requirement, schools will usually suggest them to follow a Pre-sessional English course. These courses are designed to improve both the student's English ability as well as teach them academic skills so that they can cope better with their chosen study programme. The length of the course depends on their IELTS score. Students who successfully complete the course can go on to the degree course without taking the IELTS again in most schools, but some schools may require them to re-take the IELTS. Your counselor will be able to advise you on this.

Still have questions? Please contact your local UKEAS office to get the most up-to-date professional advice. Remember, its free!

  • School / Course Search

    Find the school and course information that suits you

  • School List

    Complete list of UK schools in alphabetical order

  • Applying

    Let us guide you though the application process

  • Rankings

    A list of all university rankings in the UK

  • Scholarships

    A variety of scholarships are available to students bound for the UK

  • Visa Information

    UKEAS can help you apply for a visa to study in the UK

  • Accommodation

    Accommodation options for students